Tuesday 14 January 2020

Moonwalking - Adventure 235


Today, the rain had just finished its toll on the path, leaving us with nothing but mud and puddles that we had to navigate through to get to the next number. But it wasn’t too much trouble for our sturdy walking shoes and our high spirits.

The view alternated between forest and open plain, and the majority of the passage was the opposite direction of what we had walked last adventure. A polite complaint to the organiser of the walks (*ahem* Tonio *ahem*). Throughout the adventure we remembered different things at different times. Let me explain. When I recalled a broken branch or a view, Tonio wouldn't know what I was talking about and vice versa. We both remembered different elements of the adventure and managed to piece it together.


Animals of the day: sheep. We attempted to communicate with them by speaking their language, and surprisingly, we did get a few replies from the sheep. The whole time I was thinking about the awkward situation we’d be in if another couple of hikers came up behind us and watched as we spoke
to the sheep. Thank goodness that didn’t happen.

As we squelched along through the mud we came across some interesting photos. Tonio seems to be obsessed with moss on branches as that seemed to be the theme of his photos, along with trees that are alone in an open field, because he uses them as a metaphor as lone beings with their own different opinion in life, not being protected by the shield of the forest. Anyway, here are the pictures we took:

 


This adventure was a lengthy 7 km, one reason being that the day before we had stuffed ourselves at Wok Dynasty (an all-you-can-eat buffet) and Tonio is keeping a new year resolution of one hour of walking a day. Well it isn’t really a new year resolution, according to him, but a mere coincidence
that he started this routine on the 28th December, just before new year. This along with all his other routines, like eating an apple/orange/both every day, a Dutch lesson a day, etc.

Even though the walk was 7 km, it seems like much shorter now as I don’t have much to say compared to a normal adventure. And yet, I’m sure that I’ve missed one or two things that Tonio will mention in his side of the blog. But that didn’t stop me from dashing to the car because my legs still
felt like jelly after the walk. We then drove home and lived happily for the rest of the day.

Did you enjoy our moonwalk? If so, make sure to join us on our next one. Also, make sure to check out Tonio’s blog called The Wanderer. But for now, Au revoir!


GianlucaDeGringu





[by Tonio]:

We kicked off the 2020s early enough with our first adventure of the year. A pleasant 7 km loop in mostly muddy conditions. No cars in much of the way, something that I did appreciate, although there were a few parts where we had to give way to car drivers who were in a mad rush to reach their destination. Their cars are so uncomfortable that they wish to reduce as much as possible the time spent driving them.

I'll just mention my favourites among the pictures that I took today.


The favourite: the lone tree. I waxed philosophical over this, and told Gianluca that trees standing alone remind me of people who don't go along with the flow in their opinions, rather than seeking the security in numbers by holding a mainstream view. Gianluca pointed out that being alone you don't have competition, which is true enough.


I don't normally take close-up pictures. This broken log that was covered in moss, however, caught my attention.


I notice that all my favourite pictures involve trees in various stages of life or death. To prove my point, a picture that does not involve a tree didn't turn out well: a 'delfie' of us two.


A delfie is a selfie using a shadow, originating from 'dell', which in Maltese means a shadow. Gianluca objected even here, claiming that 'dell' in Maltese referes to the shade, not to a shadow.

But my worst attempt at wit of the day was still to come. This was my own definition of the circumference of a bicycle as... (sorry about this) bi R squared. The joke wasn't even mathematically correct, as pi R squared gives the area of a circle, not the circumference.

I wonder how Gianluca puts up with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment