Sunday 13 November 2016

Iceland Day 1


Today, was a short day. We had to wake up at 6 am in the morning to go to Iceland. No your eyes aren't deceiving you, Iceland. Can you believe it! Last summer, we were asking each other to go to Iceland as a joke. It was all in our dreams and unexpectedly, we found a good price and went by aeroplane to Iceland!

Oh by the way, I dislodged my wristbone so I had a cast on every day and sometimes, a sling under it. It was very inconvenient because I'm left handed and I dislodged my left arm resulting that we couldn't go to some places that were too dangerous. I hate myself for fracturing my arm and even now, I'm typing with my right hand and it is easier said than done!

As we came off I was feeling quite tired since we woke up at early and also because of jet lag but I felt really excited at the same time because we were in Iceland! 

As I went outside I immediately felt the ice cold weather. Well, not really ice cold but you get the idea. Throughout all 6 days we stayed here the weather said that it would be 1 to 7 degrees but wherever we went it was about -2 to 5 degrees. To be honest, slightly warmer than I expected but still very, very cold. 


We rented our car, a long white car (we took a selfie with it) and drove off to our hotel, Grand Hotel. I wondered what this hotel would look like. Grand, majestic, lots of beautiful things you can see straight away and yet so many details all over the hotel. We checked in and went inside our room, 313. It was giant with three rooms, two televisions, a sofa, two beds a bathroom and even a cooker and a fridge with some eggs in it! I asked if we could fry them but Tonio said no. [Tonio: such a pity - no cooking oil available!]

We basically sat there until dinner time because in Reykjavik, there was a giant gust of wind and also a lot of rain. In the evening we went to a restaurant called Kol. A highly rated, yet a little pricey restaurant. Tonio had salmon and I had mussels that you can find in many places in Reykjavik. There were many beers to choose from but the driving laws are pretty strict in Iceland. Always keep your seatbelt on, always keep your lights on, you can't have more than one bottle of beer that has 2% alcohol in it and you still need to wait about half an hour.

Finally, after our relatively short day, we drove back to our hotel and went to sleep... Did you enjoy our day today? If you have, be sure to stay tuned for the upcoming days of our adventures in Iceland!!!


GianlucaDeGringu

No comments:

Post a Comment